The windows you choose are one of the most important elements of your home. They play a major part in both the interior and exterior aesthetics of your home and can greatly influence the ambiance and style of your home. Therefore, selecting the best replacement windows Baltimore can offer for your home is arguably one of the most important home improvement tasks that homeowners face.
There are numerous types of windows, and knowing the difference between the basic types can help you make a more informed decision when it comes time to make your selection. Some of the most common types of windows include the following:
- Double-hung windows. Double-hung windows are windows that have two sashes that can move up and down. They are among the most common types of windows and are the types of windows that only allow one half of the window to be open at a time.
- Picture windows. These types of windows are large and are typically flanked by double-hung windows.
- Casement windows. Casement windows are windows that are hinged to switch outdoors and operate much like a door. They are another one of the most common types of windows found in homes.
- Awning windows. Awning windows are similar to casement windows, except whereas casement windows are hinged vertically, awning windows are hinged horizontally.
- Sliding windows. Sliding windows are exactly as their name implies, windows that slide on tracks. These windows have become extremely popular and provide drama to a home.
- Jalousie windows. Jalousie windows were more popular back in the medieval centuries. Therefore, people wanting to recreate medieval style homes might want to incorporate these types of windows into their designs. They are windows that are lowered via a crank.
- Arched windows. Arched windows are those that feature an arch in them and are oftentimes simply placed about double-hung windows or fixed windows to add drama and character to a home.