Whatever the size of your home, a roof is a vital part of the structure. Unfortunately, a roof won’t last forever, and over time even the best roofs will need to be replaced or repaired. Signs that roof repair or replacement could be in your immediate future include sagging, leaking, signs of water damage, missing shingles or light coming in from the exterior into the interior.
You’ll have plenty of residential roofing Baltimore options to choose from, but it is important to know more about the available roofing types, replacement versus repair and how to pick the best roof repair contractor in Baltimore before moving forward.
Before You Replace or Repair a Roof – You Have To Choose a Residential Roofing Company in Baltimore
The biggest decision to make when it comes to your roof is whether you need to repair a problem or replace the roof altogether. In some cases, while minor repair is possible, it is akin to placing a band aide on the problem. It might be more affordable and faster in the short-term, but it only prolongs the inevitable.
Roof replacement is more expensive, but it can give you peace of mind for decades into the future that your home is safe, secure and ready for anything. Instances of minor damage where repair is best might include a few missing shingles or a small hole caused by an object falling through the roof.
Most Popular Residential Roofing Materials For Baltimore Homes
If you have made up your mind that complete roof replacement is the answer, you should start thinking about what kind of roofing will be best for your home. With the exception of wood shingles, which are used less and less because of their potential to be a fire hazard, you’ll have your choice of the following six options.
- Architectural Shingles: A layered shingle style, this delivers a contoured appearance without the need for extra installation time.
- Asphalt Roofing Systems: Also known as composite shingles, these are very affordable and easy to install, but are not recyclable and don’t have great insulation.
- Fiberglass Shingles: A common kind of asphalt shingle, these are made with a bottom layer of woven fiberglass to create thinner and lighter shingles.
- Concrete Tile Roofing: Versatile and durable, concrete tiles are a popular pick in hot climates as well as places that receive heavy snow and rapid thaws.
- Faux Slate Roof: Since slate is heavy and expensive, faux slate replicates the stylish look at a fraction of the cost.
- Metal Roofing: This roofing material be made from steel, copper or aluminum, and it can offer solar reflection, Eco-friendliness and a 50 year life span.
Tips for Choosing A Baltimore Roofing Company
Ultimately, the best roof replacement or roof repair Baltimore has to offer will come from a contractor that deals extensively with the roofing material you currently have. It would not be smart, for example, to hire an experienced asphalt shingle roofer who has never before dealt with wooden shingles.
Seek out respected companies like Charis Contracting who are licensed and can provide you with plenty of experience, great references and excellent communication abilities so that you can understand your options and the best course of action.
With so many different roofing companies in Baltimore to choose from, make sure you make the right call.
Whether you need a minor replacement or a brand new roof, or you’re just not sure, call Charis Contracting today at (410) 440-2991 and we’ll provide you with a free roofing inspection with no-obligation. If you prefer, just fill in the form on this page and we’ll contact you to set up your roof inspection.